During the 2007-2008 school year, under the direction of current Superintendent Dr. Ken Wallace and former Assistant Superintendent for Technology & Learning Dr. Hank Thiele, Maine Township High School District 207 contacted Google about using the Google Apps for Education suite. As a result of this, Maine Township High School District 207 became Google's first K-12 partner and has worked closely with Google on the development of G Suite ever since, providing incredibly useful online learning and collaboration tools for students and staff in Maine 207 and for millions of additional students and teachers around the world. As Google moved from providing its online software products to supporting hardware with Android and Chrome OS, Maine 207 continued to examine these solutions alongside hardware solutions from other companies.
Since the 2013-2014 school year, students in Maine 207 have had their own Chromebooks. Key benefits of having Chromebooks in the hands of each student include:
- Information in students' hands - Students now have direct access to the world's information, and they can be charged with the higher-level tasks of finding information, evaluating this information, and synthesizing this information in order to solve complex problems.
- Shift to electronic books - Even with the cost of Chromebooks included, the shift to electronic instructional resources saves students and families hundreds of dollars annually and provides access to far more up-to-date and diverse resources.
- Real-time feedback to improve learning - With Chromebooks in the hands of all students, teachers create and use online assessment tools to quickly collect information on what students know and can do and to make quick adjustments to learning based on this information.
- Opportunities to learn & practice workplace skills - Using real, 21st Century tools, students have opportunities to learn and practice real lifeskills that will be used far beyond the classroom. Ranging from managing one's time and tasks and organizing digital resources, students learn strategies on critical workplace skills.
- Student-led support - Each school maintains a ChromeDepot, which is staffed by student "Tech Geniuses" and members of the Maine 207 Technology Team. In this environment, students and staff benefit from help desk support, and student workers benefit from learning critical customer service skills.
More information about Chromebooks in Maine 207
Current Chromebooks in use
Chromebook selection process
Parent tips for student use of the Chromebook at home
Internet access at home
Options for Chromebook insurance